Monday, April 13, 2020

Kids, Critters and Corona with Nicole Bruckman


Nicole Bruckman is an artist I met many years ago when she was helping run operations at Flower Pepper Gallery. She's shown in damn near every gallery in Los Angeles. As her art reflects, Nicole is an animal lover to her very core. She has done a lot of work for Downtown Dog Rescue (please donate). She's the mother of two adorable kids and two sweet pits. Nicole relocated back to her native Cleveland a couple years ago, and I miss her a lot. A global pandemic seems like as good a time as any to check in on her...

How are you feeling?
Definitely feeling anxious and going a little stir crazy! Missing mundane activities and visiting with friends and family.
Were you able to quarantine in the studio? How long has it been?
I have lost track of how many days we have been quarantined for now but luckily my studio is in my home. However, being home with my 3-year-old and 7-year-old has made it challenging to accomplish much!
When did it hit you how serious this was?
I think being a parent made it feel very serious to me very early on. It has definitely made me think of their future and the future of our planet. 
Have you had cancelled/postponed exhibitions as a result?
Luckily my solo exhibition at Gabba Gallery was in fall of 2019 and most of the group shows I have upcoming have been able to move to online shows.
What have you been doing with the downtime? Are you able to make art right now?
Making art has proven to be challenging between the anxiety over what is happening and homeschooling which takes most of my time. I am trying to get back in the groove a little as it does make me feel more optimistic when I create.
Are you finding any inspiration in this mess?
Well, oddly, I have found comfort in making Alice in Wonderland inspired decorations for my daughter’s 8th birthday party which has been postponed indefinitely. My 3-year-old wakes up every morning and says, "what are we making today Mommy?"
What has been the most challenging part of this for you?
Definitely the homeschooling!
What are some of your coping mechanisms?
Making things with my children and walking the dog when the weather cooperates are definitely helping!
What's the thing/place you wish you could do/go but can't right now?
I really wish we were able to have my daughter’s birthday party at the Holden Arboretum and would love to be able to take my daughter to the art museum, and my 3 year old tells us daily that he misses Target.
Why does Sam like Target so much?
Sam loves Target because we always went there after his weekly swim class to pick up
cleaning supplies, etc, and he was allowed to pick out a small toy if he was cooperative at swim class.
Done any binge watching, book reading, game playing?
We have been playing Clue and Yahtzee, I am reading Little Fires Everywhere, and just finished watching Tiger King.
Favorite work of art in Los Angeles?
Too many to name! I miss the variety of art the city provides. Prior to the corona virus hitting the states I was fortunate to see the Margaret Killgallen exhibition at Moca Cleveland which is fantastic.
Any piece native to Cleveland that you love?

My favorite piece of art in Cleveland is the attached portrait of a young girl by Renoir at the Cleveland Museum of Art. I have fond memories of this painting from trips to the museum with my mother and grandmother when I was young.
Renoir

What song is stuck in your head right now?
The soundtrack from Alice in Wonderland since my kids have been watching the movie on repeat!

Favorite brand of toilet paper and where do you find it?
Whatever we can find these days!
If you could hoard one food item, what would it be?
Apples. We eat so many and they go so quickly!
Do you know anyone personally who has contracted the virus?
Fortunately, I do not at this time.
How do you think this all ends?
I am concerned that if we do not change the way we as species interact with wildlife and destroy their habitat that this will never really end and we will be doomed to repeat the cycle with future pandemics.
Thanks, Nicole! Stay safe.

I just dug up an old interview  Nicole did with Juxtapoz and have unearthed her favorite quote. It's quite fitting.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -Dr. Seuss









No comments:

Post a Comment