Thursday, March 21, 2013

Art Pick of the Week:Cartwheel Art Pop-up Show

So, this little blog has been in hibernation for most of the winter, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that there isn't always an exhibit worth recommending. I don't want to send anybody to a show that's weak and/or half-assed. If I'm asking for a moment of your time, I better make it count. I owe you that much. Last night however, I was able to preview the "Cartwheel Street and Outsider Art Pop-Up Show" at Project Gallery. This show is the reason I do what I do. This is why I make art. This is why I write about art. The passion, the pure emotion, and raw honesty of the eight artists featured emanates off the walls, reaching out and embracing everyone standing anywhere near the work. These are hard-won artistic voices. They've undoubtedly suffered immeasurable pain and heartache. Were it not for creative outlets, there's no telling exactly how hollow our lives would be.

Full disclosure here, yes, I write for Cartwheel, but I assure you that holds no sway here. This is solely my soapbox, and I pull no punches here. If I recommend something, trust that I'm sincere about it.When I woke up this morning, I had no intention of writing this, but I just couldn't stop thinking about the art. From the Haitian influenced paintings of Lyle Carbajal and Scott Michael Ackerman, the dreamy assemblage altars and thrones of Evo Loveto the chaotic mixed media testaments of Greg Haberny, this show is all heart, no filler. Lydia Emily paints gorgeous, aching images on collaged newsprint, while Roy Gonzales keeps the Kustum Kulture Rick Griffin tradtion alive. The dark whimsy of RADICAL! and Corey Hagberg embody the invasion of art from the grimy streets to the snooty galleries. Having seen many of these pieces hanging at curator Cindy Schwarzstein's house, I wasn't expecting this show to move me so profoundly, but it did. I really can't over-sell this exhibit, not even a little bit. You only have four days to see it. Go now!

Cartwheel Street and Outsider Art Pop-Up Show
Opening reception tonight (3/21/2013) at 7pm
Show runs through March 24, 2013

Project Gallery
1553 N Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 462-1100

Untitled by Lyle Carbajal

Boat Ghosts by Scott Ackerman


The Beethoven by Evo Love

He Eats You by Greg Haberny

Carve (print) by Lydia Emily

Attack Of The Killer waves by Roy Gonzalez

Dying To Be The Life Of The Party by RADICAL!

Litmus Ghost by Corey Hagberg

Photos courtesy of CartwheelArt

No comments:

Post a Comment