Wednesday, March 25, 2020

KrossD Blog Returns: Kovid19 Edition with Jules Muck




                             ***A Brief Prologue***

Before we begin, to the 45,000 eyeballs around the world who have visited this blog over the years and wondered why I disappeared, I apologize. Let me explain. At the time of my last post in December of 2016, my country had just elected a compulsive liar, womanizer, narcissist, reality television buffoon  to the highest office in the land and I got depressed. Very Depressed. Writing about art seemed pointless and trivial. Now it's 2020, he's been impeached but he's still president and the entire planet is grappling with a frightening pandemic. I'm more angry than depressed now. Art galleries have been forced to shutter their doors and many won't survive this. Artists, who often sacrifice 50% of their sales as a matter of course, are being hit especially hard. So, I'm back. I'd like to share some more of my favorite artists with you and see how they're are faring during these strange days. Thanks for being here. First up:




                     JULES MUCK a/k/a MUCK ROCK


If you've ever taken a walk around Venice, California, you've seen Jules work. If you've ever taken a walk anywhere in the world, it's possible you've seen Jules work. She gets around. Currently quarantined in Camarillo, Jules Muck is a globe-trotting artist who is equally adept with with an aerosol can as she is with a paint brush. I've seen her in action and she's lightning fast and accurate. Her cultural subject matter strikes a unique balance of caustic wit and simmering menace. She's long been an artist I admire.





Hey, Jules! How are you feeling?


       "Right now, I'm grateful. Enjoying my day. It's been a yo-yo, tho, of emotions."



Have you been self-quarantining? How many days?


       "Yes, I forget how many days. I think about a week. Tho I do go out for drives and dog walks."

      

Does Dadamuck have all the food and medicine he needs?


        "Yes, Dada is the happiest he's ever been, running around the country estate with several other dogs and endless treats."



Dada is Jules' very sweet 3 year old bloodhound.


How's your mental health? Are you taking it all in stride, or has a level of panic set in?

      "There have been moments of panic. I've felt much better since engaging in some projects and collaborations."


What's the general vibe in Venice right now? Is everyone looking out for their neighbors?


      "I don't know. I haven't been to Venice in a while. I'm staying about an hour north."


What's the weirdest thing you've seen since the crisis started?


       "Everything is bizarre for me right now, as I'm not in my normal city environment. The weirdest thing is seeing no people around, and no art, just nature."


What have you been doing with the downtime?


        "I've started a daily coloring book using images of my popular works. I upload them daily to my website for people to print and color as they wish. I've also been oil painting several pieces for fun and commissions. I'm currently painting a portrait of Banksy for the Artemizia Gallery in Arizona."


Will Banksy be unmasked in the portrait?


      "Yes. But pixelated."


What has been the most challenging aspect of all this?


      "Future tripping."


What coping mechanisms do you employ?


      "Exercise, communication, prayer, meditation, ice cream and lasagna."


Do you cook? Can you share a favorite lasagna recipe?


      "I have no idea how to cook. Someone dropped it off and I have now finished it and will find something else to latch onto."


What's the thing/place you wish you could do/go but can't right now?


      "Go on a cross country paint mission."


Done any binge watching?


      "We watched Forrest Gump while I painted a portrait of him."




Favorite work of art in Los Angeles?


      "The 4th Street Bridge"



(photographer unknown)


What song is stuck in your head right now?


      "Refugee by Tom Petty"



   


If you could hoard one guilt-free (non-nutritious) food item, what would it be?


      "Matcha"


Matcha is actually good for you, but I'll allow it. How do you think this all ends, Jules?


      "Fade out to normal, I hope"
















Fuck bunnies. Jules gets it.


 Big thanks to Jules for talking to me. Please visit the Muck Shop on her website and buy some stuff, download her coloring book pages, donate and commission her. While you're on the site, please check out the tab "Garbage Bombing". It's my favorite thing she does.


All photos courtesy of Jules, except #3 which I took myself and #5 which was pilfered from the "intertubes".

Be safe and kind everybody.



               
















No comments:

Post a Comment