Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Krisis Kommiserating with Abel Alejandre


Abel Alejandre was born of hot earth. No, really. He comes from a region of Michoacan, Mexico called Tierra Caliente. But he cites Wilmington, Ca. as his hometown and a boys club he attended there as the most likely seedling for his path as an artist. As best I can tell, Abel first showed his art in 1984, taking part in a Special Olympics mural. Since then he has shown in countless group shows, over a dozen solo shows, and had paintings acquired for museum collections. He's taught printmaking at university, and was one of the artists chosen for the roll-out of the Metro Expo Line in Los Angeles.

I've written about Abel before. I interviewed him 4 years ago (almost to the day). Back then though, we weren't all grappling with a global pandemic. Back then, the L.A. Convention Center wasn't a make-shift hospital.  Back then, we had a President who wasn't bragging about ratings as his citizens were dying. Things were very different then.

I checked in on Abel yesterday.


How are you feeling, brother?
Physically, I feel relatively normal. However, my mental health is a wreck. On ordinary days, I tend to overthink everything and these days it has been tougher than ever to quiet my mind.
Were you able to quarantine in the studio? How long has it been?
My studio is next to my house, so it is easier to do social distancing. I am fortunate that my studio is a converted two car garage with restroom and a stocked fridge. I've been quarantined for almost two weeks. I have left to grab some groceries at some point. I have also gone on two short bike rides, one last week and one this week. Of course, I wear my gloves and mask whenever I leave.
When did ya get the "Holy Shit" gut punch?
It probably hit me about a month ago. I am a news junkie and so I already suffer from a healthy amount of paranoia. As the onslaught of coronavirus got closer to home, I kept expanding my social distancing strategy.
Have you had cancelled/postponed exhibitions as a result?
Two running exhibitions were closed to the public. There are two other exhibitions pushed out, but I would not be surprised if they are cancelled or postponed to a later date. I also had three speaking engagements and a workshop cancelled.
What have you been doing with the downtime? Are you able to make art right now?
I work in the studio almost every day, but not as long as I would like to. There are too many distractions from the news. Since, I'm a news junkie, distractions are unavoidable.
Abel's recent painting on chest X-ray

Are you finding any inspiration in this mess?
Only two things inspire me, available time or a deadline. I’ve had lots of available time.
What has been the most challenging part of this for you?
Food security has been my greatest challenge. I'm on a special diet and it makes me anxious to not have access to fresh produce.
What are some of your coping mechanisms?
I keep to a routine to keep my mind occupied. Every morning I plan out my day, so that I know that the work has moved forward.
What's the thing/place you wish you could do/go but can't right now?
I would love to go see art and to visit with friends and family. Like everyone else, I am relegated to fulfill these tasks online. It is definitely unsatisfying.
Done any binge watching, book reading, game playing?
I've watching Babylon Berlin and Star Trek series on Netflix. I am currently reading Slumberland by Paul Beatty. I don't play games, but love wood puzzles.
Favorite work of art in Los Angeles?
My favorite work is a John Valadez mural in my hometown, Long Beach.
What song is stuck in your head right now (commercial jingles totally count)
“Stay the fuck at home”


Favorite brand of toilet paper and where do you find it?
My favorite brand is Charmin and I can't find it anywhere. I have been reduced to buying a bunch of single rolls from my local 98¢ Plus store. LOL
If you could hoard one food item, what would it be?
I would hoard Bob's Red Mill Muesli. I have to have it, it is part of my routine.
Do you know anyone personally who has contracted the virus?
Fortunately, no one so far.
How do you think this all ends?
I fully expect the economy to stay in the toilet for a minimum of a year and half. The art world that we love and love to hate will be gone; it may take even longer to return. I hope that I am wrong.


El Buk


















No comments:

Post a Comment